When deciding on a weight loss surgery, many people weigh the pros and cons of gastric sleeve vs. lap band surgery. When comparing the two bariatric procedures, you should ask yourself the following questions — What’s best for you and your situation? What are the pros and cons? The key is to do your research ahead of time and know the difference between these two common weight loss surgical procedures. Doing so will help you make a wise and effective decision regarding your health.
The Bariatric Surgery Center of Excellence is a full-service state-of-the-art surgical center, housing the best bariatric surgeons in the U.S. Our doctors can guide you in the right direction when it comes to your weight loss journey. If you’re considering sleeve gastrectomy surgery, we encourage you to schedule an appointment with an expert bariatric surgeon at The Bariatric Surgery Center of Excellence by calling (888) 391-0182.
Gastric Sleeve Vs. Lap Band
The gastric band procedure (commonly known as Lap Band surgery) is placed around the upper portion of the stomach, creating a “new stomach” or small pouch that reduces the amount of food that can be consumed. The limiting of food intake results in weight loss. Once the band is in place, it is possible for the bariatric surgeon to adjust it at any time by inflation or deflation. There is also the option of band removal.
Also known as a vertical gastrectomy, a partial gastrectomy, gastric reduction, as well as a greater curvature gastrectomy, this procedure offers and encourages weight-loss in obese patients by removing up to 2/3 of the stomach. Sleeve gastrectomy creates a small, sleeve shaped stomach relative in size to a very thin banana. This is a permanent procedure that cannot be reversed, but one that provides a growing number of obese patients with life-saving benefits. Sleeve gastrectomy procedures are effective and safe for almost all patients, with very few exceptions and long term complications. In many cases, this surgical procedure allows patients to lose as much weight as the more aggressive gastric bypass surgery.
Lap Band Pro’s
- No stapling or cutting of stomach muscles.
- Stomach patch size restriction can be adjusted up or down.
- The gastric band can be removed.
- Mostly done as an outpatient surgery, which means that patients can go home within 24 hours of surgery.
Lap Band Con’s
- Higher re-operation and complication rate over time.
- Frequent visits for band adjustment.
- The resolution of medical issues depends on the amount of weight lost.
- Increased risks with subsequent bariatric surgeries.
Gastric Sleeve Pro’s
- No intestinal bypass, avoiding long-term complications related to it
- No foreign body or requirement for frequent adjustments
Sleeve Gastrectomy Con’s
- Procedure is not reversible.
- Not suitable for patients with very severe reflux or Barrett’s esophagus.
Contact A Los Angeles Bariatric Surgeon
Weighing the pros and cons of gastric sleeve surgery versus lap band surgery is very important in helping you decide which procedure is right for you. This makes an initial consultation an extremely important part of your decision.
By scheduling a consultation, our highly trained bariatric surgeons can provide you information and help you decide which procedure might best meet your specific needs and goals. Contact us online or call our Bariatric Surgery Center of Excellence at 888-391-0182.